Top 3 Things Your Pharmacy Technician Training Should Include:
- PTCB Certification Preparation- Choose a training course that will prepare you for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) exam. The PTCB certification is MANDATORY in 13 states and is an alternative for licensure in another 13 states. Although certification is not required by all states, having this credential on your resume proves to employers that you have proficient skills and can give you greater marketability.
- Meet State Requirements- Each state has its own requirements for Pharmacy Technicians. Some states require formal training, training from certain approved schools, PTCB certification, on the job training, a combination of these or no requirements at all. So it is very important to check the requirements of the state you wish to work in before you chose your training.
- Real World Experience- To competently do the job of a pharmacy technician, you will need a lot of practice and education. A bulk of the training should be teaching you about dispensing. Check the program course list to see what subjects are covered.
A great way to get real world experience is through an externship.
- Pharmacy Operations
- Regulations for Drug Development
- Medical Terminology
- Pharmaceutical Calculations
- Compounding of Sterile Products
- Dosage Forms and Routes of Administration
- Label Preparation
- Pharmaceutical Dispensing